News

2018.5.2

Xcel commits to Ashland solar garden

Business North


MADISON, Wis., May 2, 2018 – Xcel Energy will move ahead with construction of a 1-megawatt solar garden due to customer support. The new garden is approximately 70 percent subscribed, leaving 30 percent available.

The garden is part of the Solar*Connect Community, which is currently Wisconsin’s largest community solar garden program.

OneEnergy Renewables, a leading developer of community and utility-scale solar projects across the country, will build the garden on property owned by Xcel. The program’s first 1-megawatt community solar garden was energized in October 2017 in Eau Claire, and construction of a 1-megawatt garden in the greater La Crosse area is planned for later this year.

“The city of Washburn has been supportive of sustainable energy initiatives for many years,” said City Administrator Scott Kluver. “We are happy to be able to participate in this mutually beneficial project with Xcel Energy that allows the city to utilize more solar energy and reduce our energy costs going into the future.”

Subscriptions are on a first-come, first-served basis and open to any Xcel Energy electricity customer in Wisconsin. Xcel Energy is offering subscriptions at a cost of $1,600 per kilowatt. The minimum subscription size of 200 watts costs $320. Customers pay a deposit of $200 per kilowatt, and bill credits begin shortly after final payment is received. The garden in Ashland is expected to be built in 2019.


All News